Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pancakes

As many of you know, I am livin' la vida South Beach. I'm in Phase 2, and so far- life on the South Beach Diet hasn't been nearly as horrible as I thought it'd be. For example, today I ate pancakes for breakfast! What?! Pancakes on the South Beach Diet?! You've got it. And they might have been some of the best pancakes I've ever eaten.
They're made with oatmeal and whole wheat flour so they're super substantial. I ate two pancakes and was satisfied. The best part about these pancakes is that they're tasty without syrup (which is great, because I'm not a fan of the sugar-free stuff that I'm allowed on South Beach). Just a bit of butter (or your favorite butter flavored spread) and you're good to go! They are rich and nutty and delicious. I may never eat regular pancakes again.

Here's the recipe: (Adapted from The South Beach Diet Quick and Easy Cookbook)

1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup whole wheat graham flour
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
3 Tablespoons granular sugar substitute
3 Tablespoons canola oil
1 1/4 cups 1% or fat free buttermilk
1/2 cup water
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk together oil, buttermilk, water, egg, and vanilla in a separate bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Heat non-stick pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Pour batter onto pan. Flip pancakes when edges begin to look dry and bubbles in center and edge of pancake begin to pop.

Delicious Wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment